Monday, March 20, 2006

Why I don't like the cowboys

Having been born and raised in Dallas you might assume that I am a cowboy fan (lack of caps on purpose). Well, I was. I used to bleed Blue-and-Silver until the summer of 1989...just after Jerry Jones bought the team. The day that moron fired Landry during a live news conference before ever having met him face to face he lost any respect or slack I might have been willing to give him.

In the years since his and the other J.J.'s (Jimmy Johnson) willingness to do 'whatever' to win has left a really bad taste in my mouth. In the last 17 years I haven't spent more than 5 minutes total watching a cowboy game...including their (how many was it?) Super Bowl appearances.

My heroes growing up were Tom Landry, Don Merideth, Roger Staubach, Randy and Danny White, Ed Jones, Harvey Martin, Cliff Harris, Charlie Waters, Bob Lilly, Mel Renfro, Bob Hayes, Mike Ditka, Dan Reeves, and many more. None of today's players can stack up against the ones from the past for ability, character, and heart.

Well, J.J. has pulled another bone head move by signing Terell Owens. I like the headline from our local ABC affiliate: "Cowboys Have no Honor". I couldn't agree more. Check out one of the best sports casters in Dallas, Dale Hansen. Watch the video. It's worth it, especially if you don't like the cowboys. He expresses my sentiments much better than I ever could.

Dale, I've always liked you...I like you more now. I agree with you: Clint, Tex, and Tom are probably not very happy right now. I think T.O. and J.J. deserve each other. And, contrary to what you say at the end, Jones has just given me one more reason NOT to watch the cowboys.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Cory said...

Go FC Dallas. The only Dallas football team that matters.

1:11 AM, May 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home