Friday, March 10, 2006

Missing Dad

The last week or so has been pretty intense. It's time like these that really make me miss my Dad and his wisdom.

Funny, he's been gone now a little over 27 years and though the sharp edge of pain and grief has dulled some the empty hole in my life is still there. Same thing with the others that I've lost too. We never really get over it. I don't want to. My wife keeps reminding me it's what we've been through that makes us who we are.

Like Kirk said in Star Trek V: "... Bones, you're a doctor. You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with a wave of a magic wand. They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. If we lose them, we lose ourselves. I don't want my pain taken away! I need my pain!"

One of the things Dad told me once has been bourne out in these recent events: If your in a position where you are trying to come up with a fair resolution for multiple parties in a situation and everyone definately agrees to it but no one is really happy with it you've probably come up with just about the best, most fair solution all the way around.

We must have come up with a pretty good solution this week. Thanks, Dad, for all the knowledge you passed along...but I still miss you and wish you were here.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nobody quotes Star Trek V! AWESOME! Yeah I miss my dad. He died when I was 8, 23 years ago.

3:00 PM, March 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home