Sunday, March 05, 2006

170 Years Ago Tonight

What was on their minds 170 years ago tonight…the night before the final battle…knowing what would probably happen the next morning…knowing these were the last few hours they would spend on earth?

I think it might have gone something like this scene from "The Alamo" (1960):

After one defender says he doesn’t believe in God or in an afterlife another, Jocko Robertson says, “I believe. I can never find a way to argue down you that don’t believe. But I believe in the Lord Gad Almighty: all knowing and all forgiving. And I believe that good shall be triumphant in the end and that evil shall be vanquished. I believe in a hereafter”

A Tennessean says, “Me too. I figure a man’s got to believe in those things…does he want to believe in the good things about man…about his very own self…The real good things. Like courage and honesty…and love”

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home