Friday, August 10, 2007

Ride Report

Been a while since my last ride report. The last couple of months I've been splitting miles between the 2 bikes (Trek and Honda) about 60/40 in favor of the bicycle. In the last week I've racked up over 85 miles either commuting to work or just riding around town. I have a nice 12 mile loop laid out around my end of town that I can do in a little under an hour. I've managed to either dodge the heaviest traffic or ride on roads that have wide lanes and shoulders. The legs are starting to feel really good again...starting to look pretty good too according to the women folk.

With the temps and the heat index over 100 each day it's been a little hot, though. Rode to work one morning last week and my Beautiful Wife chastised me ever-so severely...she said I looked pale like the day they made me go to the hospital. That morning it was as humid as a sauna and impossible to catch your breath. The perspiration just hung on you and wouldn't evaporate. Who said we have 'dry heat' here in Texas? I'm being-have and being careful for her.

About the middle of June I took the bike in for a maintenance clinic at REI in Dallas. I learned the intricacies of adjusting the front and rear derailleurs, cables, and checking the bottom bracket. Found out my chain was shot so I purchased a new one. Ever since the shifting has been weird. The mechanic that did it all must have been an amateur...I'll have to remember to keep that guy away from it in the future. It's finally dry enough now to get everything lubed up good...it's a bear to keep it all working when it's wet.

About 60% of the way to my weight goal. Not sure if I have a snow ball's chance of making it all the way there (if I do I'll weigh less than I did at the end of my 8th grade year) but I'm gonna' try. Since March I've started eating 5 or 6 small meals a day. I've sworn off beef, all forms of pork, egg yolk, whole dairy products and (the worst one) every form of potatoes. None of it's really been a problem...except the potatoes. Mmmm--Chic-Fil-A Waffle Fries!!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home