Monday, March 10, 2008

Riddle Of Steel: The Healing.

Been a while. The post on 11-8 kind of left things hanging. My Beautiful Wife slapped my wrist the other day and told me that I really should finish reporting on what I started that day.


On 11-7-08 I received a good report from the doctor. In 6 months my weight was down by 35 pounds, cholesterol down from (ahem) 310 to 120, all blood test results were back to normal and resting heart rate down from 85 to 56. The next day, my birthday, my goal was to set a couple of milestones. That morning I went to the gym and accomplished part 1 by exceeding my target on bench press and setting a lifetime personal best. That afternoon I biked a 50 mile loop around town (stopped in the middle to post that brief update). It felt real good considering that 6 months earlier I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing.

Work out wise since then I've been a bit relaxed on my cycling over the winter months, although when I read Jill's, Brother Yam's, or LFoaB's cold weather riding stories compared to the wimpy winter we have here in the Lone Star State I'm positively ashamed. You guys are bricks! The steel is still there, though. I have continued to push (and pull and drag) my way to levels I never dreamed I'd be able to do. Once in a while I will look at the progress since last March I am truly humbled. While medicine and nutrition have their place I am convinced that the most important thing is our mental and spiritual state. Seems I can think myself through most things and reach a goal but for me it takes something a little deeper to carry me from mountain top to mountain top. If I let myself get too wrapped up in the world I either get sucked down when things and people around me are down or I soar too high and flame out when things are good. Gotta 'maintain and even strain'.

Lots of other things have happened since November...I'll post later on that. Gotta' run to the gym now, it's upper body day...thanks, everyone, for being there.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

We miss you.

9:43 PM, March 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rock on Man, ROCK ON!

-Me

3:35 PM, March 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home