Thursday, November 23, 2006

"There are no maps to where we are. It's a forgotten place. But it's warm, and it's safe...

...So we try to live as well as we can. And we try to take care of each other."


I don't list some of the 'I'm thankful for' stuff some people might expect. Sure, I'm glad to have a job, a roof over my head, food on the table & other stuff like that. I'm glad for the love of family and friends, sure. But for me it's much simpler - and much deeper - than that.

I'm not thankful for 'life'. Life can be pretty rotten, and life without purpose can be absolutely unbearable. Without purpose my life would be meaningless. That's the thing I'm thankful to God for: Purpose. I matter. I matter to God or he wouldn't have bothered to put me here. I matter to my wife. She counts on me for love, companionship, and to help give her life purpose. I matter to my children. When it gets too deep they know they can come to me. I matter to my employer or he wouldn't keep me around. I matter to my church or they wouldn't keep finding tons of things for me to do. I matter to my friends if their greetings and hugs when I see them is any indication. THIS is the stuff that I'm thankful for. I'm thankful for purpose. It has nothing to do with the size of my bank account, what I drive, where I live. None of it would matter without purpose. God and I have this deal: the minute...the very second...that my life here has no more purpose and I can't be of help to anyone any more He's going to call me home, and I'll go gladly.

So today be thankful for the purpose in your life. No matter how bleak it seems or how lonely you feel I guaranty you there is a purpose to your life...you MATTER to someone. Heck, if you're reading this you matter a great deal to me and I am ever 'thankful' for the purpose you've given me by reading what I write here.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Inspirational indeed.

2:56 PM, December 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home