Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Winter is (almost) here...

Winter...or nearly winter...arrived today. The sun set yesterday to 78 degrees and sunny and rose this morning to 45 degrees, a howling 30-40 mph north wind and a driving rain. We lost about half the leaves that had turned gold an amber on the Red Oaks and Cedar Elms but the ones on the Post Oaks an Pecans haven't even started to turn yet...they're still green. Maybe when they turn in the next week or so we will get some color out of them too. Supposed to get into the mid 30's the next couple of nights so that should help them along.

I'll be doing something this weekend I haven't done in a long, long time. I'm going deer hunting. Before you cry about 'poor Bambi' and call me a killer let me tell you my philosophy on hunting: Hunting is an excuse to buy neat toys then take them to the middle of nowhere and sit in a, for lack of a better way of putting it, little-boy-turned-grown-man's tree house...in the middle of nowhere...no phone...no work...no civilization.

My weapon of choice on such outings: binoculars (for star-gazing & watching the con-trails and wondering where all those people are rushing to); camera (for 'shooting' Bambi and all his friends); rifle (to make it look respectable to the other guys I'm hunting with who are probably doing the same thing I am); MP3 player (obvious). One of the things I'm looking forward to is Saturday night's Leonid Meteor Shower. It's one of the best reasons to get away from the city in mid-November.

If I have a successful 'hunt' I will have come pics to post next week. I promise not to kill anything but time...unless a snake tries to bite me. Then all bets are off. He may get it if I don't mess myself first.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home