Thursday, November 09, 2006

Rushing through November

Back to summer! Supposed to be pushing 90 today. Funny, about 5 weeks ago 85-90 felt like a breath of fresh air. Now it feels downright hot. But, one thing we can count on this time of year around here: if you don't like the weather just wait a few minutes and it will change. Be back to the mid 60's for highs this weekend...I do love this time of year!

UPDATE: Just realized Thanksgiving is 2 weeks from today!

I worked at the polls on election day. Our precinct saw about a 42% turnout. Not bad. That was better than last November's off year election. We had 385 early vote and 289 vote on election day. The early voting is getting more and more popular with all age groups but there were quite a few who came in Tuesday that said they just liked the feel of voting on election day. I don't blame them. It's something pretty special.

In other news: I was a little disappointed in Sam's entry Tuesday. As much as he complains about politics, politicians, and the government in general I thought he would want people to get involved. I guess the thing that disappoints me the most is he seems to want to limit the freedom of speech of those trying to encourage participation in the process and calling them names to boot. I would never call him a name like that...I have too much respect for him as a man and for his passion and the contribution he makes to our country through his work. We had one very critical issue in our city that would have turned out quite differently if people hadn't been encouraged to go make their wishes known. My whole reason for encouraging people to vote is it doesn't make sense to me when people complain about the way things are but they won't go try to do anything about it.

I do agree with something he said a while back about voting, though, and I should have mentioned it in my 'go vote' post: if you aren't going to take time to learn what the candidates REALLY stand for and learn what the propositions and amendments REALLY mean STAY HOME. Too many cities and school boards count on un-educated voters to pass questionable props and bond packages with misleading language & too many politicians have been elected on the back of deceptive, slick campaign adds.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home