Sunday, January 07, 2007

Hunting Report

We were about 17 miles down a dirt road outside the bustling metropolis of Eden, Texas. We were there from Thursday night the 28th and left Sunday afternoon the 31st. The weather Thursday and Friday was cold and rainy...perfect! Friday night it turned off colder...when we emerged from the tent at 4:30 Saturday morning there was a thick coat of ice on everything. Thank the Lord for heavy sleeping bags! The sun warmed things up to the mid 40's Saturday and Sunday and the nights stayed cold. We saw an abundance of deer each time we went out but nothing that would be considered a trophy. As I said before...I get the biggest thrill out of just watching the little critters.

Here's a few pics:


This is looking south-to-west-to-north out the blind. If you click the middle picture you can see the feeder right in the middle at about 80 yards. The blind is about 15 feet tall and seats 2. My friend Chris who took me works repairing over the road trailers and containers. They built it out of left over materials. Quite impressive!



Cold rain Friday afternoon. It did this most of the day Friday.



Here are 2 does and a spike buck late Friday at about 80 yards.



These 2 young ladies walked out about 40 feet in front of us. I bumped getting the camera up, hence the "what're you lookin' at?" stare!



Three nice 8-point bucks early Sunday morning. These guys will undoubtedly hook up with the young ladies above next fall and make a beautiful new generation.



Beautiful sunset Saturday evening. The only places I've found sunsets that compare to Texas sunsets are Arizona/New Mexico/Nevada/Utah, Montana, and of course a California Pacific sunset.

This was a wonderful trip. Took about 5 hours to get there but well worth it. This is the first time I've been hunting in a long, long time...for a number of reasons. I had forgotten how wonderful it was to go out and see the beauty of nature and wildlife...I had let other things block that memory out. I'm looking forward to next season. Many thanks to Chris, Shawn and Darcy for letting me tag along! You don't know how much it meant to me!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE being in a sleeping bag when it's really cold outside. Wow, it's been a long time.

10:36 PM, January 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home