Thursday, November 27, 2008

Remembering Love

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last night after I got home from work I went for a walk through the neighborhood. What a treat. It seemed that at every other house or so the curtains were drawn back and the lights were on, tables were being set as wives and daughters scurried around to get everything just right. It wasn't cold but just barely cool enough to be an excuse for a fire. There was a haze of smoke hanging in the air and that unmistakable scent that says all is right with the world. As I arrived back home about 8:30, at the house across the street, the whole family was sitting down at the big dining room table for a Thanksgiving Eve meal.

This morning I went for a bike ride through the same neighborhood. There were smells of every delicious Thanksgiving dish you can imagine cooking...cars everywhere...people hanging out in yards...kids ruining around playing.

Being home alone this year, all this made me aware of what I'm the most thankful for this year:

Love

You would think that being alone on a holiday would make someone melancholy. It would be easy to slip into but when I glimpse the lives of those around me today I'm reminded of all my Thanksgivings. Love is a powerful thing. It transcends miles, time, death...and loneliness.

I remember how much love mom put into making things just right, the hours she spent & the sleep she lost just to make the day special.

How dad would just sit, doing nothing in particular except let us talk his ear off and ask every dumb question that came to mind...since he worked so much it was a treat to have him home during the day.

How much love my Beautiful wife put into making things just right...how I would just sit, doing nothing in particular...the kids running around laughing and playing...you get the idea.

How so many of my friends have made sure that I'm not really alone today.

Only love can fill the void of being alone today and I'm left with a warmth I can't describe. A very dear friend told me once that when this life was over and we looked back that the only two things that would matter were who we loved and who loved us...he's right. Think about it.

To ya'll who stop by from time to time, I thank you for sharing this little slice of my world and letting me share that little slice of yours. Just know that I love you.

Happy Thanksgiving and remember the love of those who are gone, those who are here and those who are yet to come.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Just saying hi!

8:00 PM, December 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home